Search This Blog

06 March 2014

Review: "At the Mountains of Madness" by H. P. Lovecraft

Howard Philips Lovecraft was an American writer who was most active in the 1930s. He is most famous today for his stories in the Cthulhu Mythos, written in a blend of science fiction and horror he called "weird fiction". In addition to his many short stories, he also wrote three novellas.

The first of these, alphabetically and chronocalogically, is "At the Mountains of Madness". It is, in a word, boring. Some would describe all Lovecraft's work that way; he wrote almost 100 years ago, and his style was old-fashioned even then. Personally, I like it, and have been a fan for nearly 20 years, but I'd never read the novellas , and this one honestly bored me.

I spent a great deal of time wondering about that. I finally figured it out. It was dull because Lovecraft was a very good writer. He perfectly caught the dry, academic tone of his narrator. Regardless, I can't recommend it to anyone. It's just too dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment