Search This Blog

10 May 2014

Pacifism

I'm a pacifist, because that's what God calls us to be. I believe that because a plain reading of the NewTestament tells me so.

This doesn't make me a coward. Some people feel safer with a gun in their hands. I depend on Almighty God instead. This is scary.

You might point out that God ordered his people to fight in the Old Testament. I would remind you of two things. First, war was severely circumscribed even then, and second, Christians today are by definition not Israelites of the time of the Exodus. You might also point out that the doctrine of just war, which allows Christians to wage war, was proposed by Augustine of Hippo, widely considered one of the greatest thinkers of all time. I would again mention two things: Augustine's writings aren't Scripture, and he was born about a hundred years into the church-state marriage.

You may think I'm arrogant, or that I don't write well. You may even think I'm completely wrong. That's fair. I'm just trying to to obey what I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment