Search This Blog

20 June 2015

It may be necessary, but that doesn't mean it's necessary for us to do it

I got some backlash from last week's post on Romans 13. It wasn't on the post itself, but on the last paragraph. I was told that the functions mentioned were necessary. I disagree.

Remember that ours is a fallen world. That's why we have law enforcement in the first place. In fact, that's why we have laws in the first place. In a perfect world -- like the one God created -- there'd be no place for either. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world (yet). The one we have is tainted, and sometimes saturated, with evil.

In such a place, is law enforcement necessary? I'm sorry to say that it seems like it is. It doesn't follow that Christians are the ones to do it, though. A friend once asked if we should hope some people reject the gospel so that they can be police and soldiers for everybody else. Of course not; we should hope that everyone accepts it so we don't need police or soldiers.

It comes down to this: did Jesus mean to be obeyed or ignored? Is the Sermon on the Mount for us today or is it just a blueprint for some future kingdom? I happen to believe that the answer to both questions is the former. If I'm right, more people will hear "I never knew you" than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment