Search This Blog

22 November 2012

Five weird things I'm thankful for

Since this is the time of year we all tend to look around and appreciate what we have, I'd like to offer this list of things that may not seem at first blush to be blessings at all, but for which I actually am thankful.


1.  Having a girl's name.
Believe me, I'm no Boy Named Sue, but 'Leslie Christopher Bloom' isn't exactly the toughest name I could have.  I took a lot of teasing about it -- and occasionally still do -- but over time I've come to like it, for a couple of reasons.  First, it's a link to a family I've never really been close to.  I'm the fourth (that I know of) in a line of Leslie Blooms, and though I don't have a son, my younger daughter also bears the name.  Secondly, it's helped me not take myself so seriously.  When people are laughing at you, you can either fight it or laugh along with them, and laughing is more fun and a lot more effective.

2.  Not being very talented.
There are a lot of things that I love to do, but are pretty bad at.  I love singing and playing music, but have zero talent for either.  I love writing, but as you can tell it's not really something I was born to do.  And that's good.  If I had had the talent to back up my desires, I'd be in a much different place right now.  If I'd been a great saxophone player in high school, I'd likely have never met my wife.  If I'd been the next great American novelist, I wouldn't have had the experiences that God has used to make me the man I am today.  Besides, I think far too much of myself as it is; imagine if I actually had the abilities to back up my ego.

3.  Coming of age in the days of grunge.
When I graduated high school in 1992, the world had inexplicably fallen in love with really depressing music from Seattle.  I came from a childhood of country and classic rock, and the grunge and various other weird stuff that was all over the place back then was the first music I learned to love on my own.  Unfortunately, it fed my general post-adolescent angst (and really bad poetry), but it also helped me to see that things usually aren't as bad a people make them out to be.  Unless of course you're Kurt Cobain or Layne Staley.

4.  Being called an idiot (and a lot of other things).
I'd say I've heard my share of negativity, though in fairness I've dished out far more than my fair share.  It's done three things for me.  First, it's shown me that people are by nature jerks, which is of course not only obvious but biblically accurate (Romans 3.10).  Second, it inspired me to prove them wrong.  And third, it taught me humility when things worked out to prove them right, as happened more than once.  There's nothing wrong with naysayers when there's reason to say 'nay'.

5.  Being surrounded by sinners.
Since finally accepting the call to ministry, I've heard more than once heard what a shame it was that I haven't found a full-time position at a church.  Surely it would be better if I could spend all my time studying God's word and serving God's people and not having to work out in the real world where all the sinners are.  I only smile and say that I'm happy where I am, but the truth is that if I wasn't around sinners all day I'd forget that there were still people who need to hear the Gospel, and if I forgot that I wouldn't be much good to the people I was supposed to shepherd.  I'm not saying that's true for every pastor, but I know how easily I can get comfortable and complacent, so I'm thankful for the daily opportunity to get uncomfortable.

How about you?  What weird thing are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment