Search This Blog

21 November 2012

You spent how much?

I have a confession to make:  I own a $200 Bible.

I own another that retails for $100, though I admit I didn't pay that for it.

Yet another cost me $75.


I won't even get into the ones I've bought for others, or just given away.

Believe me, I'm not saying these things to brag.  In fact, the reaction I get most often is, "Why would you pay that much for a Bible?"



The second-most-common reaction is something along the lines of, "You're always saying how we should spent less on ourselves and more on missions, you hypocrite."

So how can I justify what seems like wasteful extravagance?  On one level, I can't.  We live in  a country where you can literally get a Bible for a dollar.  You can get one for free.  People will literally be happy to give you a copy of God's holy word at no charge whatsoever.  In a very real sense, there is no reason at all to spend any money at all for a Bible.

But should that be our attitude?  Should we look at the Scriptures as just another  opportunity to get a good deal?  Or might it be a chance to demonstrate how we value those Scriptures?  I'm not suggesting that the more you spend, the holier you are.  I'm not suggesting that a person with a $5 paperback Bible that's falling apart should ever be ashamed of what he has.  Any Bible is a treasure, and that raggedy paperback is as worthy a vessel as any for the life-giving word.

I am suggesting that we often look to cut corners on the Bible that we wouldn't cut in other places.  After all, you can get a perfectly solid car that will do everything you need for under $15,000.  You can rent an apartment for far less than you can buy a house, in many cases.  You can live for years on the cheapest food in the stores, without (much) ill effect.  Why do we spend more than we have to on these?  Money spent on Bible isn't somehow more liable to stewardship than any other money.  (I won't even get into what we spend on entertainment ... and by "we", I mean me and maybe y'all too.)

I bought my $200 Bible for two reasons.  The first is that it is a thing of beauty.  It has large, clear print and enough margins for me to make notes.  It's wrapped in goatskin that looks, feels, and smells wonderful.  It's a joy not only to read, but to hold, to look at, to experience.  It is a treat for the senses, and the fact that it is so enjoyable makes me want to read more, and more deeply.  If you've ever wrestled with a cheap paperback of any kind, you'll appreciate the value of a well-designed book.

The second reason is that it's made to last.  Most Bibles today are printed like other books:  they're bound with glue and will likely fall apart in a couple of years if you actually read them every day.  They're printed on cheap acidic paper that fades and yellows with time.  The one I bought is built to last a lifetime.  I wanted a Bible that I could pass down to my children, and I believe that this one will still be usable -- and beautiful -- when they pass it to their children.  Unfortunately, these days we often have to pay luxury prices to get quality merchandise.

The same goes for the others I mentioned.  The $100 one is small enough to fit in my pocket, but bound in the same way as the larger one.  It's nearly indestructible, which is vital in a Bible that I carry nearly everywhere.  The one that cost me $75 (including shipping, for whatever that's worth) is built like a tank and has the absolute best layout for preaching and teaching that I've ever seen.  All three get used often and not always gently, and are none the worse for wear.

Again, I'm not trying to boast, or say that I'm a better Christian because I spent more on my Bible.  The fact is that the only good Bible is the one you read.  A shelf full of leather-bound volumes is utterly worthless if you never study the words inside.  The value is in the contents, not the wrapper.  That said, there's nothing wrong with a nice wrapper.  If you're going to spend more than is strictly necessary on something, then the Word of God is a good place to spend it.

Places to get more information on quality Bibles:
Local Church Bible Publishers (KJV only, and I absolutely don't agree with their non-Bible literature)

For the record, here are reviews of the three Bibles I mentioned in this post:
R. L. Allan ESV Compact (mine is brown)

1 comment:

  1. Chris: The whole reason that I ever became aware of you is because you responded to a question I posted on a web site one time as I was looking for an exact replica of the Bible that I have used for the past 30 years. And then you sent me exactly what I was looking for and couldn't find. Just like that. I have been, as time permits, transferring my notes from my old Bible to this new one. You have no idea what a blessing it has been to have a Bible that is not falling apart, but still in the exact same layout that I am already used to!

    I do hope we get to meet one day (I mean here on earth); regardless, I look forward to you moving to my country! And look forward to spending eternity with you! God bless.

    ReplyDelete