Search This Blog

19 April 2014

Legalism and obedience

Since I have so many rules, some might wonder if I'm being legalistic rather than obedient. It's a reasonable question, and one I've thought about a lot. I'll try to explain the difference,

Legalism is basically trying to save yourself. It's thinking that you you can keep enough rules to get to Heaven. It's believing that you can be good enough that God has to save you from Hell. Legalism is opposed to Christianity. In short, it's bad.

Obedience, on the other hand, is just being thankful. It's acknowledging that God already did everything, and you just want to do as he says. Obedience cuts against ourmodern habit of questionining everything, but in fact, obedience to God and his Word is Christianity. It is, some would say, good.

I try to  be obedient, not legalistic. Please tell me if I'm doing it wrongly.

No comments:

Post a Comment