Search This Blog

14 September 2014

Israel

I'm not a supporter of the State of Israel.

I realize that most Southern Baptists would consider that heresy. I have good reasons for thinking that way, though, other than just wanting to be contrary.

As with so many other things, it comes down to evangelism. The State of Israel discourages it. In fact, it has gone so far as to expel people for converting Jews to Christianity. It was founded specifically as a Jewish nation, and seems determined to stay one, 

But should we be trying to convert Jews at all? Billy Graham seems to think not; he's gone on record saying that we shouldn't. In th this, though, he is opposed to Christ, who sent his disciples to convert Jews and did so himself.

But surely we don't want to be against God's chosen people? There are two points to be made here. The first that the modern State of Israel is not the same as biblical Israel. Claiming Jewish ancestry doesn't redeem anyone, as the Bible makes clear

The second that no one is talking about being against Israel. I'm not against it any more than I am any other secular nation. I'm just talking about being utterly neutral toward it.

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to apologize. But the Bible says I'm not.

Q

1 comment:

  1. These are good thoughts, Chris. I think Southern Baptists should focus more on ministering to the Palestinian Christians that have been displaced by the Israelis.

    ReplyDelete