Search This Blog

19 September 2015

Review: RICH CHRSTIANS IN AN AGE OF HUNGER by Ronald J. Sider

I've wanted to read this for a while now,just because it's spoken of approvingly by so many authors I like. It's become a basic text and its author a recognized leader in what has unfortunately become known as liberal Christianity. I've never understood why meeting physical needs as well as spiritual ones is "liberal", but at least I finally got to read the book..

Maybe it was inevitable, but I didn't think it lived up to the hype. For a book lauded to high heaven, it just left me cold. I know the facts and figures are central to the book's argument, but I thought there were too many numbers and not enough words.

Essentially, I found it unbalanced, with too much information and too little interpretation. Oddly, by being overwhelming, it was underwhelming, though I admit very few books could have lived up to the kind of expectations I had. Still, better books have been written on the subject, and I don't recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment