Search This Blog

04 December 2015

I have a teenage daughter

It's true. She's 13 now.

Conventional wisdom says that I should be more or less crazy right now, trying to keep her my little girl and having an irrational hatred and fear of all boys. But I'm not. 

I'm not happy about it, of course. I've loved having little girls. Part of me wants that to last forever. Most of me knows, though, that it would not only be unhealthy for both of us if I tried, it's not what I really want anyway.

I'm not an idiot who just lets his kids do what they want. (And if you do that, then allow me to say with all the love and good will in the world that you are an idiot.) But I also am not an idiot who would intentionally try to keep his daughters immature and afraid so they'll always stay close.

I know my daughter is growing up. I know that one day she'll break my heart and I won't be the most important man in her life anymore. And that's as it should be.

The reason my wife and I have devoted so much time to teaching her to do what's right is that one day we won't be right there choosing for her. Hopefully she'll do it herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment