Search This Blog

25 January 2014

a question for Pentecostals

Let me make it clear from the beginning that I'm not attacking anyone's experience. While I'm a Southern Baptist by choice and conviction, and have been ordained as a deacon and pastor in a Southern Baptist church, I'm not a cessationist; neither the Bible nor personal experience tells me that the "sign gifts" have stopped.

The question I have is this: why does your Bible have the same books as mine?

Hearing directly from God makes you a textbook prophet. If you look through your Bible, you'll notice that it was largely written by prophets. If God is speaking to you, you have a responsibility to the rest of us to let us know what he's saying. It seems odd that the Holy Spirit, the same one who inspired Scripture, has been speaking in thousands of congregations for over a hundred years without saying anything infallible and in need of being added to the Bible.

I'm not trying to fence in the Holy Spirit, but I am trying to respect the fences he put up.

1 comment:

  1. Exactly. Nobody could put God in a box if they wanted to. We aren't allowed to say things about God that don't match up with scripture.

    ReplyDelete