Search This Blog

21 January 2014

Why I like the ESV

A while back I needed a pocket-size Bible in a translation that I hadn't read before. At the time, I was reading through the Bible about every six months, alternating between more literal and more colloquial versions. I'd seen good things about the ESV, but I have to confess that the main reasons I got it were the cover, which was blue and had a Celtic cross on it, and the price, which was $10 off.

I never read another translation. What the English Standard Version does so well is blend modern language with the style of the King James Bible I grew up with. Some people don't care for that sort  of old-fashioned style, but I do. The facts that it's been well-supported and is owned by a publisher that makes it free on every conceivable electronic platform doesn't hurt, either.

1 comment:

  1. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I got a lovely HCSB Minister's Bible. :-) I still read from both ESV and HCSB, Mr Bloom. The poetry sections are much nicer in the ESV, though I still prefer the HCSB for general reading. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete