Search This Blog

28 November 2014

Review: LET THE NATIONS BE GLAD! 3rd ed. by John Piper

I actually had a copy of this book (2nd ed.) for a couple of years and never got around to reading it. That's a shame, because it's a very good book.

A lot of my reluctance probably had to do with the author. If modern Calvinists had a Pope, it would be John Piper. Since he and I disagree on so much, I went through a long time when I just didn't read his books. Of course, Piper is a great writer and I always learn from him, so it was only a matter of time 'til I came back.

Surprisingly, there's little Calvinism in this book. It builds a solid case for missions first from Scripture, then from experience and logic. There is a good deal on becoming the kind of missionary people will be glad to see coming, and Piper explains why the Gospel really is good news for the world.

I enjoyed reading the book, and recommend it to anyone interested in spreading the Gospel, here or overseas. It's easy to see why it's become a standard in the field. I wish I'd read it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment