Search This Blog

21 November 2014

The real American religion

A few weeks ago, I wrote that football was a religion is many, and I stand by that. But while I was typing that, I realized what the actual religion of America is.

Simply put, the religion of America is America.

Before we go any farther, let's nip some objections in the bud. I don't hate this country; I love it, and I'm glad I was born here. I'm also not a godless Commie. Communism is a dilapidated building on a nonpartisan foundation, which only eliminated pickpockets by eliminating pockets. As for godless ... love for God is why I say what I do.

It's unfortunate and wrong, but we've always identified bibical Israel and America. I said it a while back, but nothing can be Christian. People can be, but things can't. Ergo, this isn't a Christian nation.

Let me repeat that. This isn't a Christian nation. It's also not a nation of Christians, as I've heard it put. Think about it. If this country has 200 million Christians, why does Hollywood keep putting out movies that are deliberately provocative? Why does TV get more offensive as it goes along? Why does it seem like the entire world is dead-set on using our worst instincts to separate us from a little money?

Why are we excited when our children learn to kill because someone told them to, to protect a country whose very constitution places it in opposition to God? I think Leopard Ravenhill put a very well when he asked, "Would we send our daughters to have sex with the enemy if it were for 'the good of the country'? Yet we send our sons to kill for the same reason!"

America didn't die to save you. You weren't created in the image of America. It's all well and good to say you love God and country, but what happens when you have to choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment