Search This Blog

21 December 2014

Review: THE KALEVALA by Elias Lonnrot

Yes. It's a book review on a Tuesday. I'm going to try three a week for a while. Unfortunately, I had to double the cost to read it.

Back in the 1700s, Elias Lonnrot collected at the Finnish folk-tales he could find out combined them into one epic poem, The Kalevala. At the time The Finns were under the domination of Russia, and Lonnrot hoped to instill in them a sense of national pride leading to independence.

Translated into English, the poem doesn't rhyme, but has a nearly hypnotic rhythm (the same as Longfellow's "Song of Hiawatha", if that helps). The rhythm allowed long sections to be memorized, which was important when these were transmitted orally.

It is unlike any other mythology I've ever read, focusing mostly on a few heroes and a cross-border feud with the Lapps over the magician Sampo. Long passages of intense battle alternate with long passages of meat preparation.

I liked it, though I realize it's not for everyone. I've wanted to read this for over 20 years, and it was nice that it could still surprises me at every turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment