Search This Blog

03 January 2015

Review: WHEN HELPING HURTS by Steve Corbett said Brian Fikkert

The premise of this book is that the Church in America too often hears of a need and writes in check to fill it. This office leads to two tragic results: burned on the giving end and a culture of dependency on the receiving end. In the final analysis, they gift hurts more than it helps.

The message resonates with me; I've long believed that you can't solve a problem by throwing money at it. At the same time, we're responsible for what has been entrusted to us. We're to use our relationship wisely, using them for solve problems, not make them worse.

I'd recommend this book even if all it did was cause me to think about where my money goes. Like the man said, if you give a man a fish, you'll feed him for a day, and if you teach a man to fish, you'll  feed him for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment