Search This Blog

03 July 2015

Review: MARX IN 90 MINUTES by Paul Strathern

Karl Marx didn't invent communism. He was pretty good at it, though.

Of all the "Philosophers in 90 Minutes" books I've found, this one interested me the least. I thought I knew all about Marx, or at least that I knew as much as about him as any non-communist needed to. I was both right and wrong. I was right in that you can get along very well in 21st century America without knowing much of anything about Karl Marx. I was wrong in thinking I knew all about him.

Strathern has again done a very good job of taking an entire life and oeuvre and boiling it down to its fundamentals. The amazing thing is that while this is a very basic look at Marx's life and work, it never feels basic. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment