Search This Blog

17 October 2015

Jack and Helen Kelley

In September of 1996 I joined the Navy. The first place I was sent after boot camp was Nuke School in Orlando, Florida. That's where I met the Kelleys..

Not Danny and Cathy Kelley, my parents. Given that they raised me, it would be very strange if I didn't meet them until I was 22 and living in another state.

No, these were the FL Kelleys. That's how I've always thought of them, and probably always will, even though they left Florida many years ago. At any rate, there's no telling how many sailors, strays, and castaways went that house in Winter Park, but I'm glad to have been one of them.

I learned a great deal from Mr. and Mrs. Kelley, but probably the best thing they did for me was to invite me in. Being around a generous, loving Christian couple was exactly what I needed at a very difficult time, and I can't thank them enough for what they've done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment