Search This Blog

15 November 2015

Review: WILL THE THEOLOGIANS PLEASE SIT DOWN by David Bercot

I've never made a secret of the fact that I'm a fan of Bercot's work. God used him to bring about my own salvation, and he's continued to influence me since. Even I have to admit, though, that this isn't his best book.

It's not because the information's no good. Bercot's main point -- that in trying to explain everything or fit it into a system, theologians have encrusted the Christian faith with many elements that are both foreign and contradictory to it -- is a valid one, and worth considering.

The problem is with the tone. Bercot has never seemed angry, but he does here. It could be argued that he has plenty of reason to be, but he just comes across as a bitter old crank.

I'm torn about this one. I recommend what it says, but not how it says it.

No comments:

Post a Comment