Search This Blog

09 January 2016

Review: SCOTT PILGRIM COLOR VOL. 1: PRECIOUS LITTLE LIFE

Though originally published in black and white, the six volumes of Scott Pilgrim have been rereleased in color. While the colors are deep and saturated, they're also subtle, well-chosen, and true to life. Unlike many colorized comics, this is never garish; instead, it looks natural, as if it were always this way. All told, it's a very good coloring job.

Since this is a comic book -- the first one that I read that earned the name "graphic novel" -- the art is almost as important as the story. Unfortunately, I don't have have high expectations when it comes to to art in independent comics, and even my low expectations are seldom met. This is better than most, and the colors help a great deal, but the characters tend to run together.

If I'm positive on the colors and negative on the art, the story leaves me with mixed feelings. On one hand it's engaging, complex, and very well-written. On the other, I approach a story from a certain perspective, and it's not one that I share with O'Malley. This, simply put, is not a Christian story.

Regardless of how well something is written, it has to be asked whether it leads a person closer to God. This doesn't, so I can't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment