Search This Blog

15 September 2016

Review: FANTASTIC FOUR BY WAID AND WIERINGO ULTIMATE COLLECTION VOL 1...

... by Mark Waid, Mike Wieringo, et al.

Before I start, I just want to say that that is a ridiculously long title. Now on to the review ...

Back in 1961, Fantastic Four was Marvel's first superhero book. Despite a few changes and experiments, it's essentially remained the same since then. Mark Waid doesn't try to rock the boat; this is classicist FF, and it's very well done.

Mike Wieringo was a very good artist, but not a spectacular one in that he never seemed flashy or out to impress people. He's been hugely influential, but primarily he just produced very good, very solid work, which is probably what he'd rather be remembered for anyway.

I mostly started FF because of what I knew it didn't contain -- gratuitous sex, foul language, or violence -- but I was surprised at just how enjoyable it was. While the main characters have powers, they tend to win battles by thinking rather than by punching, which has a lot to do with how the book's become so venerable in the first place. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment