Search This Blog

16 September 2016

Truth isn't relative

That's why I don't listen to the Avett Brothers anymore.

Let me explain. I used to like the Avett Brothers a lot, but one of their songs had the lines, "I believe the Good Book is true/What's right for me may not be right for you". The problem is that you can't believe both. They're mutually exclusive. One claims to contain absolute truth, and the other is a complete denial of it.

The statement, "There are no absolutes," is self-denying, because it is an absolute. That's like using the existence of gravity to prove there's no such thing as gravity. It just doesn't make sense.

I can say I don't believe in cars, but if I walk in the middle of a freeway I'll still get hit. Sayin' don't make it so, and our opinion of something doesn't affect its reality one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment