Search This Blog

18 September 2016

Review: PRINCE VALIANT FREE COMIC BOOK by Hal Foster

Prince Valiant was never something I particularly cared for. It was one of those comic strips I read just because it was in the paper, probably for old people, who were the only people I could imagine who might keep things like that and Mary Worth going.

With this book, I've finally learned to appreciate Prince Valiant. Because it was presented episodically and I wasn't a regular reader, it never made sense. Here are several complete tales, and everything makes better sense in context.

Appreciation is not the same thing as love, however. While the art is beautiful and the writing makes for some, as my friend Davo might say, "cracking good reads", none of that changes the fact that the whole series is based on violence. This book contains a story about a duet, and another featuring Vikings, who were, at base, thieves and murderers. I can't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment