Search This Blog

29 March 2015

From thence he will come to judge the quick and the dead

First off, "quick" is just an old way of saying "alive". The Apostles' Creed simply says that Christ will judge the dead and the not-dead. Last I checked, that covers everybody.

Wait. Jesus is going to judge people? I thought we weren't supposed to do that. Doesn't it say right there in the Bible, "Judge not, lest thou be judged"?

It's funny how people who don't know the first thing about Scriptrure always quote this King James Version. If you hear very old, Elizabethan English, you're virtually guaranteed to be talking to one.

And I know that the KJV was translated not under Elizabeth I, but under her successor, James I. I also know the KJV was meant to be slightly old-fashioned, Elizabethan even.

But that's just a very long rabbit trail.

What matters is what that line means, and the answer to that is simple: exactly what it says.  It's remarkably straightforward. There just isn't a lot of explanation necessary. Just remember that God the Son will leave the Father's side to judge humanity.

Like it says.

No comments:

Post a Comment