Search This Blog

29 March 2015

Should church be more entertaining?

That's something I've heard a lot. It's usually used as an excuse for why men don't want to go to church. The other popular excuse I've heard is that women are just more religious than men. That's patently false; in the various Eastern Orthodox churches, as many men as women attend, and in Islam more men than women attend weekly services.

So much for the second objection. 

The first brings us back to the original question. Should church be more entertaining? I remember hearing last year that it church were more like football, he might go.

But should that be the case? Should church be more like football? I'm not going to defend the modern church service, which owes more to the medieval Church of Rome than to the Bible. I don't think that the church needs to be more entertaining. I think we're too concerned about being entertained.

That's why some churches have a live nativities. It's why some have motorcycles, wild game nights, and whatever else they think will attract men. This is just pitiful.

What we need to do is stop going to church looking to be entertained. What the church needs to do is stop trying to compete with the world in terms of entertainment. It can't, and it shouldn't. All the church has that the world doesn't is Jesus.

That's where the focus should be. Before they hear about anything else, they should hear about him. There isn't anything inherently wrong with all the other stuff, but it's all secondary to him.

Let's keep first things first.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this on Brother Chris. I have concluded that virtually all the worlds ills can be traced back to the failure of men to fufill their role as godly husbands & fathers in the home. It's always been true (see Genesis 3). We are not given the choice whether or not we are the leader (see 1 Cor 11:3 & Ephesians 5:23). The only question is how & where are we going to lead our families. Unfortunately, most of us (myself included) are leading them off a cliff either by wrong action or inaction. It takes a lot of wisdom, courage & sacrifice (agape love) to do it. I can only hope that I measure up before "we all stand before the judgement seat of Christ". I would appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete