Search This Blog

20 March 2015

Review: COMPLETE WORKS by Sophocles

This is the second of three Greek tragedies in the Great Books series. It's marginally better than the plays of Aeschylus, but that's like saying you'd rather be hanged than injected. (I would, by the way.)

I found this slightly more interesting simply because I was familiar with one of the plays, Oedipus the King. Since that's the extent of the nice things I can say about it, I'll just rant about something instead.

I really like Delphi's complete works collections, but to keep prices down they have to use Public Domain translations. These are mostly Victorian, and the translators all chose to use very archaic English as the target language. Maybe the fact that they're old translations of even older English plays that are ancient by any definition is part of the reason they don't do it for me.

Needless to say, I don't recommend this book, except as a sleep aid.

No comments:

Post a Comment