Search This Blog

14 March 2015

The third day he rose from the dead:

This is the heart of the Christian Faith. As this apostle Paul said, if Christ didn't rise from the dead, we should be pitied more than anyone else. Fortunately, there's no good reason to doubt it.

"Proving it scientifically" isn't an option. The scientific method can never be used to prove historical events. They are by nature not repeatable. You can't prove that the North won the Civil War scientifically.

You can prove it evidentially, though, and wiser people than I have done so. The fact is the only reason to doubt it is to decide beforehand that the supernatural never happens.

But never mind that.

The reason I called it the heart of the faith is that so much depends on it. If Christ couldn't defeat death for his own sake, what makes me think he can do it for me? If he didn't rise, then I'm confusing God with a dead criminal. I and millions more over the last two millennia have devoted ourselves to a lie.

I believe in a Saviour who rose from the grave in three days. If I'm wrong I've wasted my time and yours, and I hope you'll forgive me. But I don't think I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment