Search This Blog

26 May 2016

Review THE NET BIBLE (NOTELESS) by Biblical Studies Prress

NET stands for New English Translation, but it also refers to the fact that this was the first translation of the Bible done completely openly on the internet, incorporating suggestions from the public into the text itself. In its print form the vast majority of most pages is taken up with translators' notes, and the whole thing is available free online. There are two Kindle versions, with notes and without. I'm reviewing the one without notes.

I chose this one for a few reasons. First, it's free, which probably had a bigger effect on my decision than I like to admit. Second, I wanted to read the translation without being influenced by the notes. Third, if I got the one with the notes it would take about 14 years to read.

The translation is fine, though it hasn't become my favorite or anything, and I found it easy to read and understand. I don't read Greek or Hebrew, but people much smarter than I have said that it is roughly equivalent to the NIV as a thought-for-thought translation.

I still prefer the ESV, but this is a solid English Bible at an unbeatable price. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment