Search This Blog

01 August 2016

The Schleitheim Confesion, Article Seven

The Oath 

No oaths should be taken because Jesus prohibited the taking of oaths and swearing. Testifying is not the same thing as swearing. When a person bears testimony, he is testifying about the present, whether it be good or evil. 

---

I was initially confused about the difference between swearing and testifying. An illustration helped me understand. Imagine yourself in a courtroom. There is nothing wrong or sinful about sitting in this witness stand, telling what happened and the effect it's hot. But taking the oath beforehand is wrong and sinful, because our Savior has forbidden it.

1 comment:

  1. Do I understand correctly that this means if I were called to testify at a trial, I should conscientiously object to swearing to tell the truth?

    ReplyDelete