Search This Blog

20 August 2014

Review: COMPETE WORKS by Aeschylus

One thing I'm trying to do is to read through the first Great Books series, published back in the 1950s by Encyclopaedia Britannica.  I made it through .The Odyssey (good) and The Illiad (bad), and remembered that after that came four playwrights: Aeschylus, Sophocles, Eurpides, and Aristophanes. So far, they've  been kind of ugly.

There are seven extant plays by Aeschylus, and all of the are very boring. I think this more than anything else has to do with the age of the plays. They're over 2000 years old, and the fact that I read them them in a Victorian translation didn't help.

Some people swear by Classical Greek dreams, but I found it dull. Not recommended unless you're masochistic, hardheaded, or both.



No comments:

Post a Comment