Search This Blog

28 August 2014

Review: STOP ASKING JESUS INTO YOUR HEART by J. D. Greear

As an evanfelist and someone who loves the Bible, I hate the sinner's prayer. There's simply no biblical warrant for "asking Jesus into your heart". Before you throw Revelation 3.20 at me, read it in context, it's addressed to professing Christians.

I went into this book thinking that it was a refutation of that unbiased mindset. Instead, it was about assurance of salvation. It's still a very good book.

Greear writes well, though not astoundingly so,and the book is strongly biblically-based. Ironically, the part with the least biblical support was the part that spoke most strongly to me.

For years I have been wondering if I should get rebaptized. I was dunked when I was 20, about ten years before I truly became a Christian. Since then, I've heard -- and said -- for years that if you weren't saved when you were baptized, you just got wet. Is this right?

This isn't the place to debate all the issues surrounding baptism, but Greear's answer is a simple no, and after much thought and prayer, I tend to agree. Regardless of your opinion on that subject, I recommend this book

1 comment:

  1. I agree Chris. I read this last year and it's a great little book. Well worth reading!

    ReplyDelete