Search This Blog

15 August 2015

Review: NIV AUDIO NEW TESTAMENT (VOICE ONLY) by Zondervan

This is the 1984 revision of the New International Version, which wasn't revised again until 2011. For many people this is the NIV, just as the NIV is the Bible

The first church to which I belonged spent about half its time running down the NIV, telling why it was a Satanic translation. As near as I can tell, this had three effects on me. The first was that I became very good at both proof-texting and at separating who I was on Sunday morning from who I was the rest of the week. The second was that because the church was very proud of being Independent, fundamentalist, and Baptist, I avoided all three for about ten years. The third was that the NIV just kind of blew right past me.

I never set out to avoid it, but I never sought it out either. The effect was the same. When I finally got around to reading it, I found it more bland than anything else.

That's unfortunately the impression I got from listening to it. It was bland. Worse than that, it was boring. Someone did a good job of sanding the rough edges off, it's those rough edges that catch in the mind and make it memorable.

I know some people like the NIV. That's why I'm not going to give a recommendation either way. It's very well-done, but you already know how I feel. It doesn't work for me. It may for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment