Search This Blog

15 August 2015

The best advice about writing I ever got

I've written a good bit for this blog and for COBRASAURUS!!!!!, and some people have asked why. After all, almost no one reads it,so why bother, especially if it's hard? As I once said in a very different context, I wasn't aware I had any choice.

I'd say this blog was started in response to my medical condition, but I started it before I had my stroke instead of after. I actually started five, though only two have survived. I did it because I didn't have any other outlet, and I had a great deal to get out. I wasn't aware I had any choice.

If you're a writer, you will write. You can't help it. I was told that a long, long time ago, but it's not what I want to talk about. It's not the best advice I ever got on the subject. This was:

Writers write.

That's it. Just like a guitarist gets better with practice, so does a writer. There's an element of talent involved -- which explains why I was never a great guitarist, or a great musician of any kind, much as I wanted to be -- but it's mostly hard work. As David Eddings said, write about a million words, then throw them away. Now you're almost ready to start.

Of course, being David Eddings he was very smug about it. It was also not something I wanted to hear, so I pretty much ignored it.

The mention of hard work reminds me of the other great advice I received. I know where I got the first one: a comic book. I only put it up here on the off-chance some of you weren't reading Shadowhawk in 1993. The second is a complete mystery to me, though I've seen and heard it reinforced many times: if you want to be a great writer, read great writers.

Being a voracious reader has done a few things for me, it's improved my vocabulary allowed me to learn from people in all kinds of time and places, and introduced me to some really good books (and a lot of really bad ones).  It's done a lot more for me, but most importantly it's taught me what works and what doesn't.

You might not like what I say or how I say it. If that's the case, there's a very simple solution: don't read it. I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't matter to me, but I certainly can't force anyone to read this blog, nor would I. If this is just a waste of your time, don't waste your time.

If you like it, know I plan on doing this as long as I'm able. After all, I'm not aware that I have any choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment