Search This Blog

20 February 2015

Review: BACK ON MURDER by J. Mark Bertrand

Crime fiction isn't my preferred gene, but JMB is one of only two actual published authors with whom I've corresponded, and I've learned a great deal from his Bible Design Blog over the years, so it just seemed rude not to read one of his books. Also, it was free, and I'm not one to turn down a free book,

In addition to crime, this book falls under the umbrella of "Christian" fiction, an artificial classification I genuinely hate. Too often, books sold as Christian are just watered-down versions of whatever's popular outside our little ghetto. Far too often, "Christian" is used as an excuse for a book being simply bad.

So you understand why I approached this with some trepidation,

I shouldn't have worried about the genre. Bertrand writes very well, and only brings up cliches to shoot them down. There is no sex or foul language, and that makes sense because the story doesn't need them. I was quickly drawn in, and when it was over I wanted to read more. As far as I'm concerned, that's the mark of a good book, and of a good author.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes this genre. Even if you don't, you might be pleasantly surprised. I certainly was.


No comments:

Post a Comment