Search This Blog

24 May 2015

Memorial Day is very confusing

I'm very grateful to those who were willing to die in defense of my freedom. I understand that this has always been a militaristic culture, and that most Americans believe that enjoyment of this freedom implies a willingness to fight for it.

I also know none of that matters.

I'm a Christian, so I know all freedom ultimately comes from God. It doesn't matter how many people like, die, or fight for it: if God wants a nation to be free, it will be. If he doesn't, it won't.

I have been told my whole life that the most noble death I could have would be in defense of my country, and the most noble life I could live would be in service to my country. That wasn't surprising when I heard it in a public school, but it was coming from a pulpit in a church. It's also deeply disturbing.

Is service to America really better and more noble than service to God? I would say no, and I'm pretty sure the Bible would agree with me. Though I now know that service in the Navy was a mistake that kept me from God, I've been thanked many times for that, but never for trying to serve God. The former is apparently more important than the latter.

To professing Christians, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment