Search This Blog

01 May 2015

Which one?

I hear a lot about how we need to get America back to what it once was. What I always wonder is this: which America do we need to get back to?

The one of the 1980s, when we killed people all over the world and had enough nuclear weapons to destroy the earth hundreds of times?

Or maybe we should get back to 1960, when blacks were systematically discriminated against?

Was our country more Christian during the two world wars, when we trusted guns instead of God to make the world better?

How about the turn of the last century, when it was acceptable for people to die as long as profits stayed up?

Maybe we should go back to the 1860s, when hundreds of thousands killed each other while chaplains claimed that both North and South had God on its side.

Or should we go all the way back to the founding of this great nation, when our Founding Fathers wanted everything in a red coat dead and the tradition of lying to and stealing from the Indians carried on.

It was, you know. By professing Christians.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-American. I love this country, and feel very blessed to have been born here. I believe the United States of America is the best nation men have come up with. But I'm also honest, and I know this same nation has consistently broken God's laws. We should stop  perpetuating the lie that it hasn't.

1 comment:

  1. I have read two books this semester that you should check out. One was Religious beliefs of America Founders and Was America Founded as A Christian Nation.

    ReplyDelete