Search This Blog

22 May 2015

Review: THE MYTH OF A CHRISTIAN NATION by Gregory A. Boyd

This is the one that showed me I wasn't alone.

When I became a Christian -- a real one, not just the nominal one I'd been for years -- I noticed a disconnect between the person we American Christians claimed to worship and the way we actually behaved. At the time I thought it was just me. Reading this book made me understand it wasn't.

Boyd has since become associated with Open Theism which is unfortunate, partly because it taints his past work. In this book, he questions the way our country's history and the church's tacit approval of its unchristian practices. He also questions the close alliance of church and state during the first gulf war.

I should also mention the cover, if only because it's so unusual. The main color is a deep, saturated royal blue, and the only elements that stand out from that are the writing and a small picture of the Statue of Liberty, whose pale green seems to glow against the background. It's very effective, and makes me wonder why we don't see that shade of blue more often.

In the end,though, what matters is what's behind the cover. This book asks -- and answers -- some difficult but important questions, and I highly recommend it. It might mess you up like it did me, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment