Search This Blog

29 May 2015

Review: THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO

I'm one of those snobs who almost always prefers the book to the movie. I can only think of two exceptions off the top of my head. The first is The Lord of the Rings, which will probably get me kicked out of the nerd union, but is a case in which great movies were made from a book which kind of drags. The other is this.

Back in the 90s, Disney made a very good adaptation of this. It wasn't at all true to the book; characters were renamed and moved around, and huge chunks of the book were simply thrown out. The result was a very good movie. 

The book was written around 150 years ago, in French. It is over 1300 pages long. I have to assume that it's written that way because people read that way. They don't anymore, so I don't recommend this book. The movie is great, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment