Search This Blog

31 May 2015

Things I'm afraid of, and one I'm not

A lot has changed since the stroke. Externally I'm different, of course; being paralyzed from the eyeballs down will do that. Aside from that, the biggest change has been internal: I'm now afraid.

I didn't used to be afraid of heights. Recently, though, I watched a couple of documentaries, one about skyscrapers and the other about mountain ecosystems, that actually made me afraid.

The ocean has definitely never bothered me. I never liked the beach, but I loved the ocean. Now it terrifies me, especially since I have a daughter who loves shows about the ocean. It just keeps going down, and there's no way of knowing what might be below you, except that you can't breathe it,

I've also never been claustrophobic, but I am now. A fear of being confined would have been a huge drawback in both the Navy and the coal mine, but small spaces didn't affect me. Now they do.

About the only thing I'm not afraid of is death. I believe in both Heaven and Hell, and as Jerry Clower said, "I have made arrangements to miss Hell." I trust Christ to do what I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment