Search This Blog

22 May 2015

Review: CHURCHED by Matthew Paul Turner

This is Turner's spiritual autobiography, the story of his early life in a Fundamentalist church in Maryland. It's told in an episodic format, more as a series of snapshots than as a continuous film. Turner is funny,in a dry and understated way.

Unfortunately, he also comes across as a little confused. I spent a good bit of my 20s in a Fundamentalist church, and was very confused when I left. I'm not sure whether Turner and I had unusual experiences, or if confusion is just a part of Fundamentalism, but I'm inclined to think the latter.

I recommend this book. If you aren't a Fundy, it's a good window into a world where a pastor's opinions about Scripture can be more important than Scripture itself. If you are maybe it'll get you thinking about what you believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment